Tuesday, July 20, 2021

What Uganda Meant to Me


            
   Thanks to our 2020 summer intern, Chidinma Onuoha, we have a series of thoughts
     from our ASA volunteers as they reflect on their experiences in Uganda. 

 Why did you decide to work in Uganda and what was it like working there?

 What was the average day like?


 “I decided on Uganda, due to my interest in Africa. Unfortunately, there were not many

options for Africa, it was not until I was studying in the University’s African Studies room,

where I heard about the internship and was seeing stars! I asked my advisor about it, and

we got working on being able to get myself on a flight to Uganda.



An average day there would consist of waking up around 5 or 6 am (From Monday to Friday) , spending an hour getting ready, including mosquito repellent, sunscreen, and anti-malaria pills, then heading down to breakfast. After a small breakfast, we would attend lectures of Luganda Language courses and meet with people who would tell us about their stories and about Uganda. Then we would go to different locations to conduct interviews and have lunch. We would then be free for the rest of the day to either explore, play with the little kids, or continue to do some work and research; before having dinner and retiring for the day.”  ~Zeinab Abbas


How has this internship impacted you as a person/ how has it sculpted your goals and perspective on the future?


     “My favorite part of my days were walking through the village and sitting around for hours chatting

with local entrepreneurs at their places of business. One woman in particular really made an impact on

me (who I am still in contact with today). Despite the hardship she and her children endured, she exudes

joy, gratefulness, and positivity. Upon returning home to Pittsburgh, I found  that I was more appreciative,

less wasteful, more intentional about aligning my values with my career, and was inspired to make a

difference on the lives of others.” ~Mariah Fosnight



“I don't think it is possible to see the work of Bright Kids Uganda and other Ugandan NGOs and leave unchanged. It was an honor of a lifetime to be able to use my skills in research and writing to get them some capital investment (they received a $50,000 grant over one year to implement those four projects!). Making the connection between an organization/community's need and what it is that I am good at really helped me to refine and carve out what I want to look for in a future career/job. Currently, I am the Director of Administration at a prisoner reentry project, and I am still (even at my desk at work today) using my research, grant writing, and overall organizational skills to serve returning citizens.” ~Lindsay Angelo


 What would you say to other graduate students who are thinking of taking on this internship?


“The time you spend in Uganda will be like none other. You are in charge of what you want to get out of this professional experience and you will get out of it what you put into it. The friends and relationships you develop are invaluable.” ~Courtney Smalt






No comments:

Post a Comment